Wednesday 16 December 2009

happy half birthday!

Dear little sprout,

Happy half birthday! It's been 6 months, but it feels like only yesterday...


I remember when I first laid eyes on you. You were so small. So teeny. Looking up at me with big blue eyes. Taking it all in. This new place. This new person. "So... you must be my mummy?" You must have thought. And you must be my baby.

I didn't take a single picture of you in NICU, in your isolette. You were so small, hooked up to monitors and it made me too sad to think about remembering that time. But now I wish I had. I wish I had just one picture of your isolette. So that I could remember not how hard it was seeing you in there, but how far you've come since.

A little blob was all you were. A tiny little baby. But now you've tripled in size. You've grown and you've learned so much. You squeal when you're excited. And your legs start kicking, your whole body trembling. You pout right before you cry. The bottom lip slips out and the tears start to form in your eyes and I can't help but laugh. It's too cute. You talk. We have entire conversations and I haven't understood a word you've said, but it's okay, because it was so much fun.

You wear your heart on your sleeve, mr sprout, and I am so tuned in to your emotions. Our hearts are intertwined. And I feel pain when you're hurting, elation when you're happy and I cry tears when you're sad. I am so proud to be your mummy. I am so lucky. I love you. xo

~mummy

No comments:

Post a Comment